March 14, 2007

Verdict: Guilty of Negligence

Sentencing to commence in the following paragraph:

I admit I've been neglecting to post anything recently. For that matter, I haven't spent a lot time surfing either - for a variety of reasons. I think most the month of February was consumed by reading. Yes, reading books, that thing I used to spend hours doing before the internet was created by Al Gore's inconvenient ego.

While on vacation last summer, I read Kommar by Lois McMaster Bujold. That novel is one of the latter stories in the
Vorkosigan Saga. Then last month, my wife brought the first book in the series home from the library and I just got sucked into the Vorkosigan universe. I had forgotten how wonderful it is to lose hours of your life just reading and be able to go from one novel on to the next.

Lois McMaster Bujold writes some wonderful dialogue and Miles Vorkosigan's thoughts and exploits are a riot. Within the Vorkosigan Saga, Lois seems to have applied different 'themes' to the stories in the series. So one book may lean toward more of a military campaign, another a mystery, one is introspective, and others follow a love interest/romance. One of her short stories, The Mountains of Mourning can be found at the Baen Free Library.

By the way, the Baen Free Library is just pure gold. Kinda of cross between a smorgasbord and X-mas morning.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home