January 31, 2007

I'm a 26 percenter

Last Friday on The Leonard Lopate Show they were discussing how according to a recent study, 26% percent of Americans consider themselves to be chronic procrastinators. I immediately realized "Hey that's ME!" (And the infrequent posting to this blog is evidence.) I hadn't realized it was such a pervasive problem.

The two guest psychologists answered questions on why we put things off and how it affects our health, wealth, and happiness. There was some stuff I've already read or heard about and, unfortunately, no magic bullets or cures. It was nice to get some recognition though.

4 Comments:

At 2/08/2007 2:08 PM, Blogger nightfly said...

I was going to do a post about that study, but I never got around to it.

 
At 3/12/2007 11:36 PM, Blogger tree hugging sister said...

My mother always said I was perpetually late because I was so conceited, I thought the world would wait for me.

I can only say...it always has.

 
At 3/15/2007 10:24 PM, Blogger Prussian Tiger said...

I had a boss who once stated that being consistantly late was caused by arrogance. She said a person is displaying arrogance by valuing what their doing or thier time as more important than the time of ther person they are supposed to meet. Likewise, the person who was late for work felt something else was more important.

I get a sense that there is some truth in that viewpoint, however, it certainly doesn't really explain why many people are late. I certainly don't decide to be late just in order to show how I can stick it to them.

 
At 4/16/2007 4:16 PM, Blogger nightfly said...

In my case, it's usually because whatever it is I'm doing at the moment is so darned fascinating, my obligations slip my mind; or else, I've begun something that I thought I could finish before the obligation, only to be caught out.

And frankly, I think that the boss was possibly more arrogant than their imaginary "always late" person. I recall what CS Lewis wrote, that pride is in constant competition with everyone else's pride, which is why conceit is usually the first thing the proud notice in others.

In other words, a proud person would accuse you of thinking you were too good for them, while thinking (subconsciously) that they were too good for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home