December 30, 2005

Chesterton roasting on an open fire....

Among the fine gifts I received this Christmas was a book from my wife by G. K. Chesterton. My impression after starting my third book by Chesterton is that his writing is intellectually rewarding, but slow-going.

In general, some forms of reading material, like a comic book or Xanth novel, are "mind candy". Other books, such as a Sherlock Holmes novel, are a gourmet meal. So far, my impression of Chesterton's writing is that it is like attempting to ingest a thick filet mignon sans utensils. I imagine that without the benefit of a fork and knife, you'd have to just chew off a piece of steak. No matter how hungry you are, or how appetizing and well prepared the steak is, it's going to take a while.

So excuse me, I've got a book to chew for the rest of the evening.

2 Comments:

At 1/30/2006 5:06 PM, Blogger nightfly said...

Which book did you get?

 
At 2/01/2006 9:46 PM, Blogger Prussian Tiger said...

The book is St. Francis of Assisi. I haven't gotten very far yet, but that's due more to other responsibilities having precedent than lack of interest. I might post something after I've digested more of it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home